Rob Kraft's Software Development Blog

Software Development Insights

How I Figured Out Why I Could Not Get To My WebSite Hosted at Arvixe.com, But Others Could

Posted by robkraft on April 19, 2014

I encountered an unusual problem last night when I attempted to view one of my web sites (http://www.KraftSoftware.com).  I could not get to the web site.  Fiddler showed me a 502 response.  My site is hosted at arvixe.com and I use the name cp.violet.arvixe.com to connect to and manage my web site, but I also could not even connect to cp.violet.arvixe.com.  I scanned twitter for arvixe but found no one else complaining about outages.  Maybe others had not realized the problem yet.  Fortunately I was able to get to support.arvixe.com to chat with a technician.  He said there was no problem, that both sites were accessible and ended our chat.  That did not please me.  I opened a chat with a better technician at arvixe.

He told me that they could access the site, and we bounced some ideas back and forth.  I sent him the result of my traceroute, then I went to bed.

Tracing route to stats.violet.arvixe.com [198.252.79.4]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1     1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  192.168.1.1
2    36 ms    28 ms    30 ms  cpe-65-28-0-1.kc.res.rr.com [65.28.0.1]
3    16 ms    15 ms    12 ms  tge7-2.lesmmo11-cer1.kc.rr.com [65.28.16.138]
4    13 ms    17 ms    13 ms  tge0-9-0-7.ksczmogn01r.kc.rr.com [98.156.42.246]
5    39 ms    27 ms    27 ms  ae30.dllatxl3-cr01.kc.rr.com [98.156.42.0]
6    28 ms    27 ms    27 ms  107.14.19.92
7    25 ms    24 ms    24 ms  ae-3-0.pr0.dfw10.tbone.rr.com [66.109.6.209]
8    24 ms    50 ms    34 ms  po21.bbr02.eq01.dal01.networklayer.com [66.109.9.222]
9    29 ms    28 ms    24 ms  ae5.dar01.sr01.dal05.networklayer.com [173.192.18.215]
10    24 ms     *       52 ms  po1.fcr03.sr03.dal05.networklayer.com [173.192.118.143]
11     *        *        *     Request timed out.
12     *        *        *     Request timed out.
13     *        *        *     Request timed out.
14     *        *        *     Request timed out.
15     *        *        *     Request timed out.
16     *        *        *     Request timed out.
17     *        *        *     Request timed out.
18     *        *        *     Request timed out.
19     *        *        *     Request timed out.
20     *        *        *     Request timed out.
21     *        *        *     Request timed out.
22     *        *        *     Request timed out.
23     *        *        *     Request timed out.
24     *        *        *     Request timed out.
25     *        *        *     Request timed out.
26     *        *        *     Request timed out.
27     *        *        *     Request timed out.
28     *        *        *     Request timed out.
29     *        *        *     Request timed out.
30     *        *        *     Request timed out.

Trace complete.

The next morning an Arvixe tech had sent me an email asking me for my IP address.   I supplied it to them 6 hours ago but have not heard another response from them yet.  So I started doing some more research.

After disabling the wireless on my phone (so that my phone would not be going to the Internet over the same connection as my home PC), I went to my web site and it was working from my phone.  I then went to www.pingwebsite.com and pinged my server web IP (192.252.79.4) and only 4 of the 10 hosts were able to get a response.

I emails to ‘admin@dnstinations.com’ and ‘dnsadmin@us.ibm.com’ because they were the apparent owners of the last node the tracert reached successfully (po1.fcr03.sr03.dal05.networklayer.com [173.192.118.143] ).  It is a Saturday, and I have no response from them yet.

I then considered that my IP address had been blacklisted.  I went to http://whatismyipaddress.com/blacklist-check and entered my IP Address for my server 198.252.79.4 and it showed that my site was blacklisted by two spamhaus.org servers, but not by any of the other 60 servers on the list.  One of the links from this site took me directly to the reason for the block by spamhaus.org at http://www.spamhaus.org/sbl/query/SBL213271. This document told me that a site named primus.com.mk was being blocked as a spammer.  The IP address for that site was the same as my site IP address (www.KraftSoftware.com).  So apparently my site, and all of my sites hosted at arvixe.com, have the misfortune of being on the same server as a spammer.

At this time I think there is nothing I can do except to ask Arvixe.com to move my sites to a different server and IP Address, or for me to move my sites to a different web hosting provider.  And of course I asked Arvixe.com to shut down primus.com.mk and get my IP address off of the blacklist.

At the moment, I am just waiting for their response.

UPDATE AND RESOLUTION:

So I was wrong about the blacklist being the cause of my site not working.  The blacklist just blocks emails, not web sites.  The problem was that my home security system was sending so many pictures to store on my site that it triggered a DDOS response and was blocked.  I have changed my security camera to send fewer pictures and will hope it doesn’t happen again.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

 
%d bloggers like this: